Who needs an electrical permit?

  • Licensed contractors installing electrical equipment
  • Homeowners (please refer to the homeowners’ permit page; the following process here does not apply to you).

Who issues the permit?

Technical Safety BC issues the permit, unless you are located in one of the following areas, where you should check with the municipality or district.

  • Burnaby
  • Maple Ridge
  • North Vancouver
  • Surrey
  • Victoria
  • Vancouver
  • West Vancouver

Learn more about jurisdiction.

Getting a permit from Technical Safety BC

  1. Apply and pay for a permit through your account or using this online form. If you use the form, you will have to submit payment separately through mail, or by calling us.
  2. Once your application is approved, Technical Safety BC will issue a permit number.
  3. Your Field Safety Representative (FSR) then declares compliance and requests an inspection. This must be done after each phase is complete and at least once within 180 days of the permit being issued.
  4. Technical Safety BC will process the request and determine if a further physical assessment is needed.

Need help? Contact us.

How much does a permit cost?

The fee for a permit depends on the type of work you are doing. See the full fee schedule. Technical Safety BC is a not-for-profit organization. Fees associated with permits allow us to work with industry to reduce safety risks through assessment, education and outreach, enforcement and research.

Amending the permit value or scope of work

Often, the scope of work changes over the course of a project, affecting the value of the permit. If this is the case, a permit amendment must be submitted. A permit for the final value and scope of work must be in place before requesting for a final inspection. Undervalued work may be subject to enforcement action. Learn how to amend a permit.