Gas Licences

If you intend to be hired by others to perform gas work, you must be licensed by Technical Safety BC. A licensed contractor is responsible for ensuring compliance with the Safety Standards Act, all relevant regulations, and all applicable safety orders and directives.

To perform regulated work, gas fitters must be employed by a licensed gas contractor or must be a licensed gas contractor themselves. If you want to become a gas fitter, you need to get the appropriate certificate of qualification as detailed in Division 2 of the gas safety regulations.

Applying for a Gas Contractor's Licence

There are two ways of applying for your contractor’s licence:

Hardcopy Original Surety Bond

  1. Complete the Gas Contractor Licence Application Form 514
  2. Provide an original signed hardcopy surety bond with your application
  3. Submit the application form and bond to any Technical Safety BC office.

Electronic Bond (E-bond)

  1. Complete the Gas Contractor Licence Application Form 514
  2. Provide a copy of your signed electronic surety bond with your application
  3. Submit the completed application as a PDF via our contact form
  4. Have your insurer (insurance company) submit the following to
    1. An electronic surety bond (e-bond) AND
    2. an assurance statement that reads:

"Please find attached the electronic copy of the bond(s) for (PRINCIPAL NAME HERE). This electronic bond will be honored as the hard copy original would be, and (NAME OF INSURANCE COMPANY) will honor this bond the same way a signed original bond would be if called.”

To be considered valid, original hardcopy bonds and electronic bonds must contain all of the following:

  • Bond number
  • Bond Amount: $10,000
  • Full legal business name. The name on the bond documents must be the same as the company name provided on the application and both must match exactly with the full legal business name registered in BC. 
  • Obligee: British Columbia Safety Authority. The name of the “Obligee” listed on the bond should be “British Columbia Safety Authority” as this remains our legal name.
  • Principal’s signature
  • Insurer’s signature
  • Seal
  • Date

Note: We will not accept an electronic bond without an assurance statement. We do not accept electronic bonds from insurance brokers* or applicants; only insurers (insurance companies).

*We will accept electronic bonds from an insurer who has Power of Attorney for an insurance company. This must be demonstrated by a Power of Attorney letter supplied by the insurance broker or insurer at the time of submitting the electronic bond.

Renewing your licence

Licences must be renewed annually.

If you have received your renewal notice, please check with your insurer that your surety bond is still active and then either:

  • Login to your contractor account online and click on "contractor licences" to renew; or,
  • call 1 866 566 7233 to pay by credit card

Changes to your licence

If your contact information changes, you can update this information in your Online Account or notify us by calling 1 866 566 7233.

If you need to change your company name, you can obtain a bond rider from your insurer or insurance broker and send via our contact form. We will accept bond riders submitted by the contractor, insurer, or insurance broker.

Looking up contractors who are licensed in BC

To check if a gas contractor is licensed with Technical Safety BC, go to our Find a Contractor page and enter their name or company name. If you do not see them listed, they may be operating under a different name or a numbered company. Call us at 1 866 566 7233 if you need assistance, or if you are licensed by not presently listed.