pressure welder image
pressure welder

Pressure Welder: Transfer to BC

Transfer to BC

If you are certified and have experience in pressure welding from outside of BC, there are several paths you can take to obtain a Pressure Welder certificate.

Out of province

If you have a pressure welding certificate from another province or territory, you can apply for a Class A Pressure Welder certificate in BC.


You must have one of the following:

  • Welder trade qualification with or without a Red Seal endorsement issued by an apprenticeship authority in another jurisdiction of Canada
  • Canadian credential authorizing you to perform pressure welding in another Canadian jurisdiction, equivalent to the regulated work of a Pressure Welder certificate authorized to perform under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Refrigeration Safety Regulation

In addition to the above, you must also have a current performance qualification for SMAW F3/F4 or GTAW/SMAW F6/F4, as administered by your jurisdiction.

Getting your certificate

To apply for your certificate, you must:

Once we have reviewed your application, we will inform you of your results by email. If you are successful, we will provide you with the necessary digital documentation, including a digital copy of your wallet card. You will also receive a physical wallet card by mail via Canada Post.

Once you have successfully obtained the Class A Pressure Welder certificate, you will need to obtain a logbook from the Industry Training Authority (ITA) before you begin performance qualification testing for use in BC.

Out of country

Temporary work

If you would like to work as a Pressure Welder in BC temporarily, you can apply for a Class R Pressure Welder certificate. This certificate has a lifespan of up to six months and cannot be renewed.

Permanent work - Class A

If you are an experienced Pressure Welder from outside of Canada and would like to work in BC long-term, you must register with the Industry Training Authority of BC (ITA) and challenge the Red Seal for Welding. Once you have obtained your Red Seal for Welding, you can apply for your Class A Pressure Welder certificate.

Permanent work - Class IT

If you do not have much pressure welding experience and would like to get a Class IT Pressure Welder certificate, you must register with the Industry Training Authority of BC (ITA) and become a welding apprentice. After you have completed Level 2 of your training, you may apply for your Class IT Pressure Welder certificate.