Class REF - Contractor Licence Guideline
- Scope of guideline
- Application for a class REF contractor licence
- Scope of class REF contractor licence
- Review and approval process of class REF contractor licence applications
1. Scope of guideline
This guideline provides information that is applicable to a class REF contractor licence under the Power Engineers, Boiler, Pressure Vessel, and Refrigeration Safety Regulation (BPVR Regulation).
In the event of conflict between this guideline and the requirements of the Safety Standards Act and Regulations, the requirements of the Act and Regulations must take precedence.
2. Application for a class REF contractor licence
To apply for a class REF contractor licence the applicant must submit a completed application form. The application form, applicable fees, and other information are available on our website.
3. Scope of class REF contractor licence
A class REF contractor licence is limited to regulated work on refrigeration systems. For example:
Example: Scope of work
4. Review and approval process of class REF contractor licence applications
Once the application is received and payment processed, Technical Safety BC will conduct a review and approval process of the application.
Technical Safety BC will contact the applicant to conduct an interview to review all applicable requirements under the Act and regulations, including adopted code sections and standards that the regulated work will be performed to, as per the applied scope of work under the licence.
The interview will cover the requirements for welding and/or brazing on refrigeration systems and equipment as mentioned above, to ensure the applicant understands the need for qualified individuals using a registered procedure.
The interview will ensure the applicant employs a refrigeration trade qualified mechanic; the refrigeration mechanic’s trade qualification (TQ) number would be included on the application form.
The interview is also to ensure the applicant has reviewed and understood, and will keep up-to-date copies of, the applicable BPVR regulation adopted codes:
- CSA-B51 Boiler, Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Code.
- CSA-B52 Mechanical Refrigeration Code.
- ASME B31.5 - Refrigeration Piping and Heat Transfer Components.
- NBIC NB23 - National Board Inspection Code
- Part 1 – Installation
- Part 2 – Inspection
- Part 3 – Repairs and Alterations.
The interview will also cover requirements under the Act and regulations to ensure regulated work that is outside the applied scope of the REF contractor licence will not be performed.
Once this interview portion of the application process is completed, Technical Safety BC will approve and issue the class REF contractor licence.
|REF-CL-BRC-7030-MAR-19-2020-V3 - Final.pdf||299 KB|
Controlled document: BRC-7030