Safety Order: Above surface passenger ropeway detachable grip rebuild, inspection and servicing procedures
This safety order is issued pursuant to section 31 of the Safety Standards Act. A person affected by this safety order may appeal this order in writing to the Safety Standards Appeal Board within 30 days. The appeal process is set out on the Safety Standards Appeal Board's website at www.gov.bc.ca/safetystandardsappealboard.
Failure to comply with a safety order is an offence under section 72 of the Safety Standards Act.
Part 1: Details of Regulated Work or Regulated Product
This safety order is being issued to all licensed passenger ropeway contractors and passenger owners that maintain or operate above surface detachable grip ropeways within the scope of the CSA Z98 Safety Standard for Passenger Ropeway and Passenger Conveyors (“CSA Z98”).
In the last two years Technical Safety BC has had four incidents reported to us that relate to the rebuilding, inspection and/or servicing of detachable above surface ropeway grips.
In three cases the incidents were determined to be caused by grips being put back into service with components not installed correctly. In one of these cases the detachable carrier slid backwards down the haul rope.
The fourth incident was determined to be caused by detachable grips not meeting the manufacturer’s inspection requirements and exceeding the maximum wear parameters.
|Regulated Work - General||Regulated Product - General|
|Regulated Work - Specific Class||Regulated Product - Specific Class|
|X||Specific Regulated Work||
|Specific Regulated Product|
Part 2: Requirement(s) of this Safety Order
Upon receipt of this safety order, all licensed passenger ropeway contractors and passenger ropeway owners that maintain or operate above surface detachable grip ropeways within the scope of the CSA Z98 shall comply with the following requirements:
- That a second visual and tactile quality control check of all detachable grips be completed by all contractors after the grip is serviced, rebuilt, non-destructive tested, and re-installed in the carrier hanger arm.
- A unique, written procedure for these quality control checks shall be put into place for each type (style, model, vintage) of detachable grips a contractor maintains. This procedure shall reflect all manufacturers specific requirements in addition to any in-house quality control process.
- Contractors are to review the manufacturer’s manuals for their ropeway’s detachable grips and ensure that all the inspection requirements are being completed and they are following the schedule established by the manufacturer. All manufacturer’s scheduled grip maintenance intervals and service/ inspection instructions shall be reflected in the documented maintenance program.
- All lift maintenance staff involved in detachable grip-servicing, rebuilding, ND Testing, and re-installation of the grip into the carrier hanger arm shall be trained in these procedures and be made aware of any manufacturer bulletins relating to detachable grips. This training shall be documented.
- A check sheet is to be used to document the first and second person quality control check of a detachable grip after it is serviced, rebuilt, non-destructive tested, and re-installed in the carrier hanger arm. These check sheets are to be utilized and populated at the time of the quality control check. This check sheet shall record all values required by the manufacturer and clearly show the first and last names of the persons who have completed these inspections.
Safety Order Confirmation Requirements
You are required to submit written confirmation of compliance with this safety order by May 1, 2021. The written confirmation of compliance must include the following information:
- Ropeway unit number and name of the ropeways this safety order applies to at your operation;
- A copy of your detachable grip servicing, rebuilding and reinstalling procedures for each ropeway
- A copy of your detachable grip servicing, rebuilding, and re-installing quality control checklist(s) for each type, style and vintage of detachable grips you have
Part 3: Details of Issue (if applicable)
This safety order is being issued to the following:
- Class A and B Licensed Passenger Ropeway Contractors
- Detachable Grip Passenger Ropeway Owners
Part 4: Details of Ordering Safety Manager or Safety Officer
I certify that I am authorized to issue this safety order in accordance with section 15 (d) of the Safety Standards Act or that I have been delegated this power under section 15 (g) of the Safety Standards Act.
Provincial Safety Manager – Elevating Devices
Date: January 12, 2021
Safety Standards Act
|Safety Order Response Form 1738.pdf||80.93 KB|
|SO-PR 2021-01 Detachable Grips.pdf||190.71 KB|