Information Bulletin: Passenger Ropeway Train the Trainer Certificate of Qualification Program Update
This bulletin is being issued to all Passenger Ropeways owners to clarify the specific changes related to obtaining the passenger ropeway trainer certificate of qualification as required by section 4 of the Elevating Devices Safety Regulation.
What is a Passenger Ropeways trainer?
A Passenger Ropeways trainer is a person who is certified to train lift operators in a specific area based on relevant work experience.
To obtain this certificate, individuals must complete certain education components and submit their qualifications for review.
Acceptable education and training:
The Province Safety Manager has determined that successful completion of both of the following programs are acceptable education and training for the passenger ropeways trainer certificate of qualification:
- Lift 150 Train the Trainer course offered by Selkirk College.; and
- Online Passenger Ropeways Act, Regulation, and Directives (ARD) course offered by Technical Safety BC.
Apply for your certificate:
To apply for your Passenger Ropeways trainer certification, follow these steps:
- Meet the eligibility requirements listed above.
- Submit a completed application form, include supporting documents:
- documentation outlining your work experience on specific types of passenger ropeways — this can be written proof from your employer or a description of your work experience in written form (email is acceptable);
- your official transcript for Lift 150; and
- your record of completion for the ARD course.
- Where a current certificate holder wishes to alter the scope of their certificate to train on devices not listed on their current certificate, the certificate holder must submit supporting documentation outlining their additional work experience.
- Pay the required fee. We will contact you to process a fee payment after reviewing your application.
Receive your certificate:
Once your application is approved, you will receive your certificate by mail or email, depending on your preference. This certificate does not expire — therefore a certificate renewal is not required.
Elevating Devices Safety Regulation requirements
Division 2 – Certificate of Qualification for Passenger Ropeways
Passenger Ropeways trainer certificate of qualification
4 (0.1) An application for a certificate of qualification, or a renewal of a certificate of qualification, made under this section must include proof, acceptable to a provincial safety manager, that the applicant has successfully completed a training program that
(i) is administered by an educational body, and
(ii) in the opinion of a provincial safety manager, is relevant to the regulated work to be done under the certificate and to the types of passenger ropeways to which the certificate applies.
(1) Repealed. [B.C. Reg. 45/2017, Sch. 2, s. 1.]
(2) The holder of a valid passenger ropeway trainer certificate of qualification may train individuals to do regulated work as attendants or operators of the types of passenger ropeways named on the certificate.
Applications under this Division
4.1 (1) An application for a certificate of qualification, or a renewal of a certificate of qualification, made under this Division must include proof, acceptable to a provincial safety manager, of all of the following, as applicable:
(a) with respect to a certificate of qualification as a certified elevating device mechanic, the applicant’s relevant training and work experience as set out in section 4.3;
(b) with respect to a certificate of qualification as a mechanic-in-training, the matters referred to in section 4.6 (2) or (5), as applicable;
(c) with respect to a certificate of qualification for an individual to whom section 4.7 applies, the matters referred to in that section.
(2) For the purpose of applying section 2 of the Safety Standards General Regulation to an applicant described in subsection (1) (a) of this section, fees for examinations, if any, apply to each attempt of a required examination.
(3) Despite section 3 (2) of the Safety Standards General Regulation, if an applicant for a certificate of qualification fails to pass all required examinations on the third attempt, the applicant may not apply for a certificate again for at least 5 years after that attempt.
(4) A provincial safety manager may renew a certificate of qualification only if the certificate holder applies to renew the certificate before its expiry.
[en. B.C. Reg. 239/2014, s. 7.]
Safety Standards Act
Elevating Devices Safety Regulation